Welcome to the Thursday, August 1st edition of Daily Slivers of the Fantasy Soapbox.
Discussing baseball is as fun as the game itself. It has a way of bringing people together to share different opinions about the sport we all love. A similar action can be done with fantasy baseball where we not only discuss topics but also look to improve our teams as well as the teams of our fellow fantasy baseball enthusiasts. Everyone has their own perspectives which are not to be cast off as frivolous. They should be used as a method of expanding our own knowledge.
In this article, I review the previous day's boxscores and provide my opinion on a variety of topics. Some will be random, some will be fun, and some will be stat-driven. It's a soapbox so I may rant from time to time as well. So without any further delay, below are my thoughts on August 1st. Enjoy them. You can even respond with your own thoughts on Twitter @EllisCan2.Editor's Note: Love the strategy of season-long fantasy sports? Live for the short term gratification of DFS? Try Weekly Fantasy Sports on OwnersBox - a new weekly DFS platform. Sign up today for a FREE $50 Deposit Match. Offer expires Thursday night! Sign Up Now!
- Adam Duvall is power-hitter Braves wanted. Four HR in five days.
- Ronald Acuna starts the 25/25 club for 2019. Party for one.
- Luis Castillo matches career-best win total. 2.63ERA.
- Yasiel Puig & Scooter Gennett gone. Now Josh VanMeter & Philip Ervin are assured more playing time.
- Yoshihisa Hirano played himself out of closer consideration. 0.1IP, 3ER, 0K.
- Mike Tauchman enjoying Brett Gardner’s respite. 3HR, 12RBI, 1SB, .429AVG last 15 days.
- Austin Romine thankful for Gary Sanchez absence. 3HR, 13RBI, 1SB, .425AVG last 15 days.
- Bo Bichette hits first homer. 41% owned and climbing.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu survived Coors. 6IP, 0ER, 1K. No decision. That is success by every definition.
- German Marquez even more impressive. 6IP, 0ER, 10K. Only 81% owned, but Astros next. Pass.
- Will Smith adds to his rookie rap sheet. 5th HR, 3RBI.
- Tigers trade Nick Castellanos & then score nine runs.
- Tigers trade Shane Greene. Joe Jimenez is the new guy. Very risky.
- Pablo Sandoval with most HR(14) since 2014
- Buster Posey might reach double-digit HR(six). Not fantasy relevant.
- Jean Segura batting .478 since return from heel soreness.
- All Hail, Jose Berrios. 7IP, 0ER, 11K. Utter domination. Elite. — Hey, put down those ‘Berrios Takes Advantage of Marlins’ signs.
- Twins HR leader extends lead(29). Max Kepler. That’s right. Wunderbar!!!
- Eddie Rosario w/411ft THUNDER!! (23)
- Mitch Garver w/second-most HR(20) amongst catchers.
- Ryan Yarbrough gives you tainted W. 4.1IP, 4ER, 3K. vs. BOS. Easier roads ahead.
- Rays sure know how to ruin a good thing. Bring in Eric Sogard and Jesus Aguilar. This cramps the style of Nate Lowe.
- Red Sox do nothing to address bullpen. Brandon Workman, Nathan Eovaldi, Matt Barnes.
- JD Martinez smacks 23rd. Thanks. We want more.
- Jose Urquidy made a grand exit, negatively. 4IP, 6ER, 1K. His services are no longer necessary.
- Roberto Perez helps catcher power. 18HR. .242AVG begs for more.
- Carlos Correa (13th HR) & Yuli Gurriel (three RBI) in the sixth & seventh spot.
- Austin Nola does it again. 400-footer. Callin’ to Baton Rouge. Catcher eligible in some leagues.
- Jacob deGrom tortures ChiSox. 7IP, 1ER, 11K. Encore, Encore…ok, I give you Marlins next.
- Edwin Diaz so generous. Donates a HR before the SV(24).
- Kyle Hendricks w/7IP, 0ER, 7K. Not bad for a control guy. Still no shares.
- Lorenzo Cain taking advantage of A’s generosity w/HR(eight). Wow, go ahead Cain.
- Have a great Thursday. New friends, fresh conversations.
- No Fear, Just Fantasy.